the Golden Demon Competition of the German Gamesday 2004 i was not allowed
to bring a entry for the Blood Bowl Category as i won a prize in this
category last year. But still i wanted to make something " Blood Bowl " stylish
the newletter of Forgeworld every
few week. Months ago, when i saw this Orc
stickbomber, my first thought was: hey, that´s something, i can convert
into a Blood Bowl mini ! And I also remembered the cover of the first "
Blood Bowl compendium " of 1997, where the selfportrait of Gary Morley
as Blood bowl player is shown. For those, not knowing this person, Gary
Morley was the sculptor of the 3.ed BB minis.
The first stage was to remove the 40K stuff of this Orc.
All the weapons and ammunition packs had to disappear. As this is a resin
mini it was quite easy to remove these parts. Well, at last easier than
drilling metal parts like last year. The resin base was cut also to get
a better angle of the miniature as a Blood Bowl player. Also the 40k grenade
throwing arm had to be cut for a better angle to hold the ball later.
The second stage was the " greenstuffing " part.
This was the most time consuming part. I learned the hard way just to greenstuff
a single area only per day ! After one hour work i finished a buckle on
the back and started another one at the front ... and just guess, where
i put my fingers around first... i was not happy ! Hm, and i was quite
At first i just wanted
to convert the existing 40k shoulderpads into Blood Bowl pads. But it looked
not good. So i use one marble of my marble collection as base for forming the
round shoulder pads. The chainmail, well, not a easy part, too ! After checking
some website and asking the helpfully Steve Buddle for informations i tried
and retried this part a few times. I´m still not pleased with the result, but
it´s not easy to sculpt chainmail, and even more difficult to do it in this
scale. One bad spot i covered with a " repair plate" on the back. Removing
the ammunition packs left a flat area on the right leg of the trousers,too.
I greenstuffed some cracks of the trousers to cover this area. Sculpting the
fingers of the ball hand with parts of the cut fingers was a mistake as i learned
later. Next time i will sculpted a full new hand !
The third stage was, after building a base out of pflaster
and priming the whole thing black, painting the miniature using my "old "
colorschema again.Again i learned, its not easy to paint large plain areas
without details ... at last as long as someone isn´t used to do this.
Maybe a kind of "basic airbrushing" would be better. After repainting
some parts a few times ... thanks to the critical views of my girlfriend
and the kids ( " no, thats looks not good... no, thats looks not like
bandagea ! Hey, THAT should be leather ? NO !...") i cut and painted
the battle damages last.
The fourth stage was building a nice pedestal for the miniature
as the angle and the posture of the body wasn´t
good enough to keep the base flat for presentation. I didnt paint the wooden
pedestal as i like the plain wooden look of it as contrast to the colored
painted miniature. For viewers, not knowing about Blood Bowl, i added the
the sign made of Slater
I entered this miniature at the German Gamesday 2004. But i entered it in
the wrong category as a " Inquisitor style and size " miniature. And, in
my personal opinion, my entry couldnt compared with the other great Inquisitor
entries. Unluckly the GW staff didnt realised my mistake, too. The right
category would had been the " Open Category ". A bit bitter taste after over
10 weeks work... Anyway another project finished, up to the next ! :-)
Finaly my "Blood Bowl BigOrk" made it into the Games Workshop
Specialist Games Online
Magazin issue #30.